Physical Therapists are experts in the art and science of the evaluation and treatment of human movement and balance dysfunctions. We care for a variety of muscle, joint, and nervous system disorders that can affect your balance.
Don’t ignore the Facts:
- One of every three persons age 65 and older falls each year.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury and accidental death in those over the age of 85.
- In 2005, 15,800 people 65 and older died from injuries related to unintentional falls.
- About 1.8 million people 65 and older were treated in ERs for injuries sustained from falls (CDC 2008).
Positional Vertigo - A Common Cause of Dizziness & Balance Disorders
If you have BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), our vestibular therapy experts can perform a series of simple movements, such as the Epley maneuver, which can help dislodge the otoconia (calcium crystals) from the semicircular canal of the ear. In many cases, one session works; other people need the procedure several times to relieve their dizziness.
We Can Help You Cope With Your Condition
The physical therapists at The Traveling Physical Therapist can also help increase your strength and coordination to help lower your risk of falling and getting hurt during daily activities, such as when you walk up or down stairs, use the bathroom, or exercise.
Some people with a balance disorder will need the help of our vestibular rehabilitation therapists to cope with their problems. In each case, we will conduct a personalized evaluation of your condition and then we will develop an individualized treatment plan.
* Cited from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2008 www.cdc.gov.